Home / Wasteline / Cutting red-tape will divert more plastic from landfill
Vanden Recycling

Cutting red-tape will divert more plastic from landfill

, with around 30%, or 1.2 to 1.4 mt being non-packaging plastic. The remaining 70% is packaging and agricultural plastic.

Dr Richard Swannell from WRAP, said: “Non-packaging waste plastic can be reused by many different markets, reducing the need for virgin materials and thereby helping to reduce the impact of climate change.”

“A Quality Protocol will stimulate growth in the reprocessing sector here in the UK, ensuring more non-packaging plastic is recycled and doesn't end up in landfill. With the launch of today's consultation we are keen to hear comments and feedback on these proposals.”

Key industries that produce waste (non-packaging) plastic include:

· Electrical and electronic

equipment (WEEE)

· Vehicle manufacturing

· Construction

· Agriculture

· Furniture and houseware

· Toy manufacturing

· Medical

· Footwear

Key markets for waste (non-packaging) plastics are:

· Construction

· Landscape

· Packaging

· Automotive

· Closed-loop recycling (reprocessed for the same original purpose). e.g. WEEE.

Check Also

Co-op appoints Clearabee to provide reactive waste removal services

Co-op appoints Clearabee to provide reactive waste removal services

Clearabee, the on-demand rubbish removal business, has announced that it has been awarded a three-year, …

MHW TOP TWEETS