. The grant from the Enhance Capital Fund is helping First Mile to quickly expand its easy and low-cost recycling service to many more London businesses. It will also enable First Mile to launch a WEEE recycling service which will be suitable for most businesses in London.”
Jason Mohr, Managing Director, ANY JUNK?, said: “Enhance has supported us from the very beginning. The programme has helped develop my idea into a business with more than £1 million of sales, employing 27 people and diverting 1,000 tonnes of waste from landfill in its first three years. The Enhance Capital Fund has provided grant funding for four new trucks that will substantially accelerate our development across London – not only reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill but also further increasing our recycling rates.”
From February 2008, generally only Euro III trucks and above will be eligible
to drive into London's Low Emission Zone (LEZ).
Enhance Capital Fund
To be eligible for a grant from the Enhance Capital Fund, applicants must ensure
their project will:
· be located in at least one London borough
· create direct full-time employment in at least one London borough
· involve recycling, reuse, reprocessing or remanufacturing activities
· use secondary materials, or adapt existing processes to allow the use of secondary materials, if manufacturing
. be able to spend a grant allocation and achieve contracted outputs by 31
Enhance expects to fund project proposals that require capital expenditure, for
· process / manufacturing equipment
· vehicle and collection infrastructure
· building works – construction / improvements
London Development Agency (LDA)
The London Development Agency (LDA) works to improve the quality of life for all
Londoners and drive sustainable economic growth. Its role is to bring together the right people, skills and resources to deliver real results in the long term, responding to the needs and ambitions of communities and businesses. www.lda.gov.uk http://www.lda.gov.uk
London Remade is in the business of recycling, creating environmental solutions
for a sustainable capital. This is achieved through developing markets for
recycled content products, providing tailored support to help grow green enterprises and introducing green practices to existing businesses.www.
London Community Recycling Network (LCRN)
LCRN is a not-for-profit, second tier organisation, dedicated to supporting and
promoting community-based sustainable waste management activities, and make them
the preferred solution – financially, socially and environmentally – for the
people of London.
The Enhance Capital Fund has awarded First Mile a capital grant for collection
vehicles, and IT and tracking equipment to manage logistics and minimise vehicle
movements. This will help:
· increase collection capacity to approximately 11,500 tonnes of waste (paper, cardboard, glass, aluminium and steel) per year
· introduce a new waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) collection
· expand the service from three to seven of the London boroughs
· reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by approximately 5,000 tonnes per year
· create 15 new jobs
First Mile collects rubbish & recycling from London businesses.
Its mission is to collect rubbish & recycle as much as they can First Mile provides daily collection services for businesses in central London that do not have space for storing rubbish. It undertakes daily scheduled collections (7 days a week, 24 hours a day) and pre-booked single item collections and clearances at times that suit customers.
The Enhance Capital Fund has awarded ANY JUNK? a capital grant for four collection vehicles with GPS location equipment, to manage logistics and minimise vehicle movements.
This will help:
· with plans to expand to all 33 London boroughs
· increase collection capacity to approximately 2,000 tonnes of waste (mixed
recyclables, electrical, green, furniture, books, textiles and metals) per year
· reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by approximately 1,000 tonnes per
· create nine new jobs
Rubbish removal and clearance always used to mean rubbish service. ANY JUNK? was set up to change that and has brought professionalism and genuine customer service to rubbish clearance. It provides friendly and polite rubbish removal teams, clean uniforms, shiny rubbish collection trucks, an easy and efficient booking system, simple rates, fully licensed and insured, and all the rubbish clearance and loading done for you. ANY JUNK? is about delivering a simple, dependable and hassle free rubbish removal solution to homes and businesses, day in day out. www.anyjunk.co.uk http://www.anyjunk.co.uk
Smash & Grab Glass Recycling Limited The Enhance Capital Fund has awarded Smash & Grab a capital grant for a specialised glass collection vehicle. This will help:
· increase collection capacity to approximately 5,000 tonnes of waste glass
· Smash & Grab to close the recycling loop and recycle glass back into glass
· create five new jobs
Smash and Grab, a West London based glass recycling company, approaches the problem of waste glass from a different angle to licensed retail premises. It
tackles waste glass where it arises and provides an efficient and reliable
collection service. It has designed and produced a radically different glass
smashing machine – the Little Smasher. It is simple, small and easy to install and operate, making bar staff's job easier and more efficient.