Hytera logistics and distribution two way radio communication product solutions

Two new DAFs go into service with well established West Yorkshire haulier James Wilby

The Dewsbury-based business has acquired a 220hp CF65 18-tonner with a sleeper cab and a 28ft flatbed body built and fitted by Micra Truck Bodies of Wakefield. Also new to the 35-strong and mostly-DAF fleet is a 460hp XF105 Space Cab 6×2 44-tonne tractor unit equipped with DAF’s new, lighter, 12-speed manual gearbox.

Both trucks were supplied by local DAF dealer F & G Commercials on an HP agreement arranged through PACCAR Financial. F & G operates branches in Huddersfield, Barnsley and Oldham.

"The CF65 is mainly being used to transport timber and steel," says James Wilby managing director, Keith Shaw.

"The XF105 hauls steel too but moves a wide variety of other loads as well thanks to our diverse customer base," he continues. "It spends 60% of the time coupled to a flatbed trailer and the other 40% pulling a curtainsider."

Operating UK-wide, both trucks will cover around 80,000 miles annually and will remain in service for at least seven or eight years.

Founded in 1916, James Wilby started out as a coal merchant but moved into general haulage in 1970, and is now a member of the Pallet-Track pallet network. By no means a stranger to DAFs, it acquired its first as long ago as 1970.

"We were one of the first hauliers in the north of England to buy a DAF and we’ve been 95% DAF ever since," says Mr Shaw.

Bob Stringer, area sales manager for DAF at F & G said: "We’re delighted that James Wilby has chosen DAFs again and feel sure that the firm’s latest acquisitions will prove durable, frugal and cost-effective to operate."

Check Also

ROBERTS MART FLEXES ITS MUSCLE WITH MAJOR INVESTMENT IN NEW EQUIPMENT

Roberts Mart flexes muscle with major investment in new equipment

Another multi-million-pound investment in machinery has been unveiled by specialist printed flexible packaging company Roberts …

MHW Latest Top Tweets